Saturday, May 19, 2012

Unknown Series Part 2


The Future






2065? I thought to myself. It was impossible. I may not have known how I had ended up in the hospital, or what my life was like before I woke, but I knew the date. I knew that before whatever accident befell me, it was the year 2013. I stood there in the wreckage for some time, watching the not-so-crazy-after-all man disappear from view. After I had gotten over my shock, I realized that I was still in the hospital robe; naked underneath. I had to find some clothes.


I searched the plane’s scattered cargo for anything useful. Most of the valuable things had been taken, but there were plenty of clothes. I soon found an outfit that fit my present state of malnourishment. I would need to get my strength up soon; if what the man said was true, I would need to be on my guard. After I was dressed in some blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt I began a search for shoes and a jacket. I found that I would have to loot the bodies scattered all over to achieve this goal. In my search I found a empty backpack, which I thought would come in handy.  After dealing with this gruesome business, I found a place to sit and mulled over my predicament.
What should I do? I thought. What does one do with a fresh start? Should I try to find others? Should I find a home somewhere and live out my life accordingly? All these thoughts raced through my brain. I had not the slightest idea of how to approach my next move. Being unable to decide, I went back into the hospital in search of medical records. I knew that if I could not find my own name, I would have to make one up, and I did not look forward to this. I returned to the room in which I woke, taking note of the room number, and combed it for anything I had missed. After searching for some twenty minutes, and finding nothing of importance, I moved on to the next room. I searched all the rooms that were not destroyed, including the ones with rotting corpses. In my investigation I found a knife, a flashlight without batteries, a water bottle, and some gauze. This was not much to go off of, but it would have to do.
I went back to the nurses station, and looked for a binder with my room number on it. As in my first search, I found nothing. Disappointed, I left the hospital, deciding to move on. I climbed across the wreckage once again, and found a street on the other side. There were a few parked cars, or what looked like cars, for they were like no cars I had seen. They were small, and sleek, with no wheels and they seemed to only fit one. The road seemed to be made out of some type of metal that changed from silver to a blue-ish tint depending on which way you looked at it. I inspected one of the vehicles, searching for a door handle. I placed my hands over every inch of the car, with no luck. The surface was completely smooth, almost bullet like. I stood there looking at the vehicle, wondering how to get it open. I thought it might be voice activated.      
“Open,” I said. Nothing. “Unlock,” still nothing. Giving up, I moved on to another car, thinking maybe this one was just broken. But I soon found that it wasn't just that one, it was all of them. I sat down on the sidewalk, placing my head in my hands, feeling frustration, confusion, and sadness. Had I friends in the past? Did I have a life? A lover? Children? All these questions plagued my mind. I don't know how long I sat there, but it must have been some time for the sun was beginning to set. The shadows on the ground were getting longer, and the sun was reflecting off the chrome vehicles.
And that is when I heard it. A mind shattering horn that echoed for miles. And it was close, too close. It was followed by a series of loud, earth shaking booms that could be felt through the ground. It was getting closer. The booming got louder and more defined, and it knew it to be footsteps. Soon a metallic noise could be heard, and fuzzy static like a radio. I quickly found cover behind a line of parked cars waiting for whatever was about to reveal itself.
Down the road appeared a giant two legged machine. I looked on in awe as it belted out another horn blow, which left me with my hands over my ears. The machine continued to walk, followed by what looked to be men in full body armor suits. They carried weapons and rode on what looked like hover bikes. I would have to find myself one of those. I dared not move until it was far out of sight and out of hearing, and even then my heart was pounding in my ears. I had to find out what happened to me. What had happened to the world. And most of all, who those people were. It was beginning to get dark and I would need to find a place to sleep, so after letting my heart slow down, I set off in search of safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment