Monday, May 7, 2012

So I'm thinking of making this into a short story series.


Hospital

I woke from a dream that was void of content, but I never wished to leave, for what I woke to was unpleasant. I was in a hospital bed, hooked up to monitors that weren’t even on. A fine layer of dust covered me and all that was around me. There were dead flowers all over the place, and there was a bandage wrapped around my head. I searched the room for any sign of life, but found none. My arm was still hooked to the IV that had long exhausted it contents, and I pulled it out as I swung my legs over the side of the bed.
My muscles creaked in protest, they had not been used in a while. I looked down at my arms and legs, they were skinny and without muscle. My ribs poked out from beneath my skin, and a vicious hunger overtook me. But the worst realization of all was that I had absolutely no memory.

I stood on my legs but soon fell over, not having used them in so long. I again found my footing, using the monitor stand to support me. The only window in the room was small, and high up, letting in just enough light. I made my way to the door and the hallway outside. I looked down either side, finding no one. I walked down the corridor, the once white floor and walls now caked with dust and debris. I wondered why things were strewn all over the place, like a hurricane had come through the hospital. No lights were on, the only light was from the windows, which were few.

I soon came to a nurse station and searched the files. Having no memory, I also didn't know what year it was. With little luck, I moved on. I continued down the hallway wondering where all the people were. I looked inside the rooms as I passed them, looking for any sign of inhabitants. I soon came to a room with what looked like an occupant, but I quickly discovered it was a corpse, rotting away. I covered my mouth for the smell was like a getting hit with a two by four. I continued on trying to get away from the sight.
I soon felt a slight breeze. I thought this very curious, for there is no wind inside a hospital. I soon found the reason for this as I rounded the corner, and what lay before me startled me. The rest of the hospital was destroyed. The whole front section was ripped apart by what looked like an airplane. Charred bodies lay scattered across the ground. Peoples suitcases lay open, probably from scavengers. I don't know how long I stood there, but it must have been some time. As I walked amongst the wreckage, I heard a noise, a grunt and then clanking; as if someone was banging together pots and pans. I followed the noise and found a man, trying to pull the control module out of the the plane’s cockpit.
“Hello!” I said, noticing the sound of my voice.
The man turned quickly and looked me in the eye. He was dressed in a wool coat with a scarf spilling out of the neck, it was cold after all. He had long blond hair under a cap and bright blue eyes. He looked to be in his thirties. He pulled out a gun and pointed it at me.
“Stay back!” He yelled in a southern accent, the gun shaking in his hands.
“Woah! Don't shoot!” I said raising my hands.
“What do you want?”
“What?”
“I said what do you want!?”
“I just want to know what’s going on. I just woke up from the hospital.” I said motioning towards the broken building.
The man looked at the building, a curious look on his face. “You woke up from there?” He said nodding towards the hospital.
“Yes. Can you tell me what happened?”
The man continued to stare at me, then he started to chuckle, and it soon turned into a bellowing laugh. He put the gun away in his belt.
“You sir, are one lucky man. I thought everyone in that place was dead. How long have you been in there?”
“I don't know, I can't remember anything from before I woke up. Where am I?”
“Well, you’re in Richmond, Virginia. And that is Saint Mary’s hospital, or was.”
I looked back at the building, noticing for the first time the destroyed sign near the entrance.
“What happened here?”
“They attacked.”
“Who attacked?”
“You know, them. The ones from the sky. The ‘Aliens.’”
I searched my brain for anything relating to the word, but found none.
“But they ain’t like no aliens we could have thought of. They look just like us, but they are smarter, more advanced. The religious folk say it’s God’s punishment, but you know what I think? I think they was just waitin’ for the right opportunity.”
This man was clearly insane. I would have to find a more reliable source of information elsewhere. I started to move on but he took my shoulder and stopped me.
“You best watch yourself out there, they could be hiding among us, just waiting for someone like you to slip into their grasp.”
He let go of my shoulder and walked off, stooping down to look at something on the ground every now and then. I looked on in stunned silence. Then remembered something.
“Hey wait! What year is it?”
“Why it’s Christmas! December 25th, 2065.”

No comments:

Post a Comment